November 20, 2013

The Benefit of Failure

One fails toward success - Charles F Kettering

Whenever you say the world 'failure', people hold their breath. Who wants to admit failure?  


What I hear about failure most often is....

  • Failure is why people get fired - right? 
  • Competency by definition does not allow for failure?
  • If I admit failure, people will think I am stupid?
Why do a blog about failure. Here are some of my thoughts that I have tried to express when I am mentoring team members.
  1. If you are trying, you will sooner or later fail. It is only those who don't try that may avoid failure, but then again, they don't experience success either. 
  2. We learn FAR more from failure than we ever learn from success. Success breeds compliancy.
  3. Failure is a positive experience when a good post-mortem is done. Post Mortem Blog
It then comes down to attitude. We all fail, we all should improve. Some examples:
  • You have lost your job - what could I have done to be more "all in". All in Blog 
  • The project wasn't done on time - what could I have done to remove workflow pinch points.
  • Sales goals are not being met - am I touching my customers like I should, or am I hoping the sales come to me.  "My phone didn't ring today".
Continuous improvement is the name of game, and you only improve when you feel the need.


David Haynes, NCARB, PMP, LEED AP
Ideate Director of Consulting

David is a Registered Architect, Project Management Certified Professional, who previously had his own architectural practice and was President of a commercial design-build construction company for 15 years. A graduate of University of Arizona, he has worked as an Architect, contractor, developer and as a national construction manager for a national retailer. David currently provides business process analysis, virtualization and change management solutions for AEC clients across the United States involved in the design and building industry. Follow David on Twitter: @dhaynestech 


Get it. Know it. Use it.

This post was originally published on David’s blog Connecting the [Data]…